Sunday, January 1, 2023

Christmas 2023

Another Christmas has come and gone and so are all the projects!! This year I was asked to make t-shirt quilts, pillows and ornaments. 

Jessie, friend and high school PE teacher/basketball coach, has asked me to make her a few t-shirt quilts. She came to me with 2 large garbage bags (not the body bag size, the one smaller) and asked me to make a quilt for her sister. The bags had all of her nephews clothes that her sister had saved and gave to Jessie. I loved how this one turned out - so did Jessie and her sister!! 



These two quilts were made for young kids. Quinn, mom, saw a quilt I made for a grad gift and loved the idea. She went home, collected kids clothes (that are cooler than I wear now) and some of her’s and her husbands for each quilt. She included the kid’s receiving blankets (beautiful linen ones). I had such a hard time making myself cut them up but I did!! 

Here are the results: 
This is Lennox’s quilt. The back of this quilt was the challenge. I didn’t want the receiving blankets to stretch so I sewed them to a sheet and then to the quilt. It worked out pretty good. This quilt is heavy!! 








This is Frankie’s quilt!! I wanted it to have lots of colour!! Quinn told me what the kid’s favourite colours were so I was able to use them as I made the quilt tops. 








Kelly, a parent of the grade 5 student who I called Mr. P - he liked the Pittsburg Penguins) lost her mom last summer. She asked me to make 16 pillows, 16 ornaments and a quilt out of her mom’s clothes. The pillows and ornaments were going to all children and grandchildren. Kelly had a quilt made for herself.

The pillows were 20 x 20 and looked great, i I do say so myself!! The one stipulation was that each pillow needed a square of her mom’s purple coat and there was one of two saying on the pillow (Now we’re cookin’ or That’s nifty)! The other request was to put the Gramsicle on there pillows for Kelly’s 3 boys. I took the shirt down to Crown Advertising and had them put the saying on it 2 more times. It turned out perfect!! 



























This is Kelly’s quilt. I have always wanted to try quilting as you go and a doubled sided quilt so I did both!! I loved both techniques. I think next time I will change the direction of the second side. Maybe do it vertically or on a diagonal. This quilt is like you are being wrapped up in a giant hug. The weight is perfect for those chilly days or those days when you are missing that special person. 





I wasn’t sure how to finish the edges. I tried a binding but it looked silly so I went with the ragged edge. The only problem is the batting was glued down so I couldn’t remove it before ragging the edges. 



Now time to move on to this years projects!! 
Happy New Year! 
ME

2 comments:

  1. So many awesome memories you were able to capture for people with the quilts and pillows. The past memories and future ones are my favourite parts of these projects. Her

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of awesome memories that you have saved for them.

    ReplyDelete